Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Parents

This is a photo of my Mom, on her last visit to my home. She is watching something interesting on the TV (probably pretending to watch one of the many CSI shows my Dad prefers). She is 74.
I was thinking of my Mom, and how mothers must worry about their daughters as they grow up. I don't have any children, so I can't fully understand the worries, but hearing about the latest girl to have disappeared in my area, I can sympathize.

A young girl, 20 years old, disappeared during a Metallica concert in my town. They found her purse and her car in the parking lot on Sunday. She hasn't been seen since Saturday night.

This disappearance brought to mind when Natalie Hollaway disappeared in Aruba on spring break. I would watch the news for her, and somehow was upset she was missing, much like this girl's disapperance is bothering me now.

I think: that could have been me. I was a young girl, once, full of myself, not afraid of much, out in the wild world, going to concerts, on trips, all over, without supervision. I took some chances, I know. I was lucky. These two were not.

I appreciate Mothers. They worry everyday. Yet, they let go. With smiles on their faces and knots in their hearts.

On a lighter note, here is Dad in the middle of a big yawn, right before he fell asleep in the rocking chair he bought me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for introducing us to the parents. And for your words about mothers. It's a hard job. Your mom seems to have done hers very well.

    ReplyDelete