Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Various old gravestones


This guy hangs around my Mother's house during Halloween. He greets the trick or treaters with a big smile. I thought I would post some of the gravestones from the Old North Burying Ground in Weymouth, MA. They are fascinating, and most from the 1600 and 1700's.This is the Captain's stone. He seems a little creepy to me. I think the stone cutter was trying to capture his death bead portrait.

Mr. Torrey has a scary looking flying skull to decorate his grave. Why did the colonists like such gruesome carvings, I don't know.
.

Jane's stone at least has a flying smiling skull...
This is a sibling stone. This depicts a brother and sister who died within a couple of days of each other. You can see the children tucked into their beds (or is it their coffins?)

Anyone else have photos of interesting gravestones to share for Halloween?

2 comments:

  1. When I was a child in Pennsylvania, I remember seeing many a graveyard with absolutely fascinating tombstones. I was impressed even way back then, at a tender age!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love prowling old graveyards. It's fascinating history. You might like this photo of a gravestone that I took.

    Cheers!
    Julie
    Julie Magers Soulen Photography
    Blog of Note

    ReplyDelete